Sunday, September 14, 2008

Almost ready!

We are so close to leaving! I thought that I would spend the weekend getting everything ready, and that Sunday night (tonight) could be a nice relaxing evening. But the universe had a different plan. Amelia has been sick all weekend with a fever (poor kid), so that meant that I got little to no sleep both Friday and Saturday night. And it was a very social weekend, so the bit of energy I had was used in visiting with friends and family. Which was absolutely lovely! But now I am busy making copies of all the paperwork we need to bring (one in each suitcase plus a couple extra stashed throughout the luggage and carry-on. Some may say that I am OCDing, but at least I will be able to relax!!

Like I said, this weekend was very social. We had lunch with Dean's dad on Friday and then supper with my parents and my Auntie Marg and Uncle Buster. My parents spent the whole weekend in Edmonton, so it was nice to see a lot of them. On Saturday night, my dear friend Hannah threw a ladies-only shower for me. It was lovely to be surrounded by so many of the women that I count on and have learned so much from. So, to Hannah, Mom, Shelaine, Valda, Jill, Erin, Chantel, Laurel, Karen, Erika, Laura: thanks so much! I had so much fun - loads of wine and laughs and even some tears! Love you guys!

And then on Sunday afternoon, Hannah arranged a potluck lunch celebration for us at our church. Unfortunately, Amelia and I had to miss it since Amelia still had a bad fever. But Dean came home with loads of good wishes and cards and gifts. Our church, Westwood Unitarian Congregation (www.westwoodunitarian.ca) is an amazing place. They have been an amazing support since the very early stages of our adoption journey. We are so lucky to be a part of this community! Thanks everyone!!

So...3 sleeps...WOW!!! I really can't believe it! I can't believe our family of three is soon going to become a family of four!! Iris has been in our hearts for so long that I've always felt that our family wasn't quite done; but it's been just the three of us for almost 7 years, and it's just going to be such a big change. I am so excited and overwhelmed and eager; so full of love, but also a bit scared. I am really looking forward to getting home with Iris and moving on with our new life. I can't wait to see Amelia be a big sister.

Well...back to my photocopying!!

1 comment:

lynette said...

Hi guys,

I just had a lovely conversation with Deidra this morning. You're almost there!

I've known Deidra since we were in grade six. I also thought she was so cool (always had the best haricut, clothes) and was thrilled that she wanted to be my friend.

So many years later she continues to amaze me. I admire her so.

Dee, I think that what you're doing is great. And I love you heaps for doing it, for waiting so long, and for pouring your heart and soul into this adoption. Like Amelia, baby Iris is one lucky girl.

Love you tons, and take China by storm. Lynette

Countdown

Backgound