Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Still Lots of Tears!

Every time I look at Iris I want to cry! Is that normal? I remember it being the same when Amelia was first born. But this time I can't blame it on the pregnancy hormones! I wake up every morning and just stare at Iris' pictures. We have been getting so many wonderful phone calls and emails and I get teary eyed every time. But if you know me well, you know that I am a sap!

We just got confirmation of our flights. We are leaving Edmonton on Wed, Sept 17, arriving in Beijing on Sept 18. We've decided to go a few days early, to adjust a bit to the time zone before meeting Iris. Our facilitator, Yulin, who is now Canadian but grew up in China, will be there early as well, so if we really need a hand with something she'll be there, which is such a relief! And the hotel that we are staying in is a 'Western' hotel (with a pool, which Amelia is so excited about), where many people speak English and are very helpful. Being in Beijing and not being able to speak Mandarin is really not a problem. At least that is what we have been told! Amelia has a book called 'First 1000 words in Chinese' - I think we'll track it down today and start practicing a bit!

So, we are leaving in less than a month!! Four weeks today!! Wow! Yay!

Wondering where Iris is right now? I know I showed you pictures of the orphanage on the last post, but I didn't show you where in China she is. She is in Jiangxi Province, which is in the south-east of China. If you look at the map below, you will see a bright orange province called Fujian that is right on the south part of the coast. Jiangxi is the light blue province just west of Fujian. Although Iris does not live in Nanchang (the capital city of Jiangxi), that's where we'll get to meet her. You can click on the picture to make it larger.



Amelia just woke up and told me that she had a dream that 'we already went to China to get my baby sister'. So sweet!

So, on top of all the wonderful chaos of getting ready to meet Iris, we just found out yesterday that Fortune Hunters, the CBC TV show about entrepreneurs, wants to do a segment on my company TulaJane Eco Events. And they want to do it next Wednesday - they need us to throw an event, preferrably a children's party. So my business partner, Jill, and I are frantically trying to arrange catering, games, decor, etc for a kids' party that needs to take place in 7 days. And we're going to be on TV. Eek! It's all SO exciting, just a bit overwhelming!

Off to look for glass baby bottles and organic cupcakes this morning! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We found reasonably priced glass bottles at The Birth Source. Have you been there? So many glass bottles are ridiculously expensive, but these ones were reasonable, and they work great. The Birth Source has lots of awesome stuff, actually ... I got all my pumping supplies there. No organic cupcakes, though. (Let me know when/where you find those!)

We're thinking of Iris all the time. So excited for you guys! -Chantel

P.S. Deidra, let's get together some afternoon soon. I am getting bored of the same four walls every day. :)

Countdown

Backgound